1. Do you personally think that what a woman wants is to have the power in a marriage?
OR
2. What does it say about the Wife of Bath that in her story, what women want is the power in their marriage, and that all the other women in the story agree with her?
OR
3. The knight's complaint against his wife is that she is "loathesome" (ugly), old, and low-born, i.e., not an aristocrat, or member of the upper class (lines 244 and 245). Without looking ahead in the reading, are there any reasonable answers the Wife could make--given that these things are true? Like what?
For students to share comments about the evening's reading assignment, and for miscellaneous class assignments
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
30 comments:
READ ID YOU DARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
okay...here are some of my thoughts...i will post more later that actually answer the questions for tonight..okay
So, the queen loves life, stories and talking. She goes off on stories all the time, which is kind of annoying sometimes, shes so cheerful and happy but criticizing things a lot. She's got to wake up to reality. The world to pretend is a cage, not a cocoon. Really, whats the need to push the self destruction????? Wake up lady, stop being so bright and shiny!!!!!!!!!
BUT!!!!!!!!! There is another side and view to talk about this argument. This woman has had, as mr. durning said, 5 (?) horrible, unsuccessful marriages with men. They died or they were abusive, divorces, etc....She has not had good experiences with a relationship.....her behavior of loving life adn being a little bit of a manipulator of the man is understandable but her personal issues shuold not come into her role as the queen what so ever!!!!!!!!
AND...maybe she brought these men upon herself and deserves whatevr she got.......which brings me to the question and answer of my two questions!........................................Whats the need to hit the self destruct button??? If life is so hard already, why do we make it harder on our selves??? GEEZ!!!!!!! ......maybe we like the pain, maybe its what makes us feel human. Because without it, what's the point of living????
What's that saying??? : why do i keep hitting muyself with a hammer????
Because it feels so good when i stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ill post more later
Focusing on prompts 1 and 2:
1. I personally feel that the idea that a woman wants to have the power in a marriage, as presented in the book is a flawed answer to this question. This answer assumes a lot of things, which probably were regular in the culture in which this was written, but is somewhat sexist in our culture. The idea assumes that every woman wants or needs to be married, and assumes an inherent power dynamic. So - - it is inherent that a woman does not have any power, and instead of deserving power, desires it, putting it in the same league as the "prettiness" and "fame" mentioned earlier.
2. Since this desire to have power in a marriage is something that both the Wife of Bath, and the other women in the story agree with, I think that some safe inferences could be that the society described by the Wife of Bath is patriarchal and that the man naturally has the power in a marriage in this society. Looking back at that story of Midas, the woman does have the power, right? Midas has entrusted her with his life-changing secret, and she ends up releasing this power to the marsh. Interesting to think about how this relates.
inferno thoughts/thinkings:
So these people in Limbo took no sides to good or bad and now they are chasing the SELF INTEREST BANNER!!!!! right???? so if god is so loving, doting, almighty and powerful, he SHOULD be COMPASSIONATE towards other people!!!!
Just because some people don't follow God and the religion doesn't mean they don't RESPECT it. God shouldn't punish these people for something that they kind of didn;t really have control over. If God is loving and FOREGIVING, he should be compassionate to these undesided people....they are nto self interested,....;......they are HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! geeeezzzz, lighten up!!!!!!!
.aaaaahhhhhh my brain!!
Checking in. . .
I think that yes, woman do want power in a marriage but that is not the only thing. Woman probably want a balanced marriage where the woman can help make choices and be considered equal but also be able to take care of her husband and vice versa. It sound really shallow to say that all woman want in marriage is power and I can't beleive that even this older woman wants that because she seems to also want a young knight to sleep with her. I woman just want power than they would be just like men, greedy and wanting to conteol their spouse. Not saying that men are like that now or anything but that is just how they are displayed in this setting!
Prompt 1:
I got from the reading that the woman does want to have power in a marriage. And she desires the power in the marriage. She does not deserve it or anything but it is something that she wants. She doesn’t have any power, and I was saying she just has a strong desire for it.
number one with bits and pecies of thoughts about life thrown in!!!
Yes, i do think woman want to have power in a marriage. Its not like they DON'T want power, dont want a say with their lover, want to eb like a slave. as GRETE would put. She wanted to "wear the pants" in that relationship!!!!! In most families, at least in mine (this is a stereotyp...but a bit true) the father or husband is the kind of leader of the family, makes the desicisions, final say type of thing, allthough the other or wife does do A Lot of work
The man may be the head of the household but the woman is the neck...and she can turn the head anyway she wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously, though
I think how Turner talked about the relationship between a man and a woman in a relationship was very interesting in how he explained it using a simile of the man being the head and the woman is the neck. This also explained to me what the "power" was that the woman wanted.
prompt 2: I think what the fact that all woman agree with her in the story is kind of weird. I mean because right now if someone says some thing, there is definitely one person who would disagree with the idea. I think by looking at how the wife of bath tells it, she has very strong ideas and sticks to them for a very long time. So this makes her think that she is right and that all the people around her would definitely agree with her. This would NEVER happen in real life and if this WAS true, there would be no conflicts between anything at all because this is what causes confusion and fights.
checking in... i agree with Nami, it is kinda weird that they all the women agree with her.
1. I dont agree with that for a few reasons...one that is just assumming that every woman wants marriage which is not true. I think that many/most women want marriage...but that doesnt mean that they want it...
Aside from that I dont think they want all the power either. I deffinitly think they dont wanna be infinite...like in a sexist society..but I dont think that they want it to be the other way either. They dont want to have all the power either. I think to have a healthy marriage there has to be shared power....
This is DANNY!!!! Ill be checking in a little later!! :D
um. turner. first of all. the wife of bath is not a queen of anywhere as far as I have heard.
Moving on...
1. I am going to stick by what I said last night. I don't believe that what women want the most is to have the power in their marriage. I believe that truly women would want (as has been mentioned before by some people) a balence in their marriage. An agreement, a mutual respect and love for each other. Looking at it from that time period, I see it differently though. Since many women were unable to marry for love it is highly likely that they DID want power in the marriage. If they didn't care two dimes for their husband and he was acting like he was in charge, OF COURSE you would want power in a relationship like that! So it really depends on the CONTEXT or situation. But...I don't think that the deepest desire of women has ever been to have the power in a marriage.
It's Hunter
Prompt 1: I totally agree with Rachael. Power is not what women completely want at all. They want a balance...maybe sometimes they want power if they feel down or degraded or somthing like that, but to have power is not their goal in their marriage. I think it's interesting though, because, sometimes, it seems like someone in the story does have the power over their husband....hmmm I'm still somewhat thinking about this...
Just a comment on prompt 2: the other women are like her little MINIONS!!!!!!!!!
checking in
Checking in...
I agree with Hunter about the minions thing....
I'm not sure what I think personally about this. I think that in nature the differences between a man and a woman are very prominent and I think that naturally due to testosterone men often have power over women. Naturally I think people like to have power, and if men usually have it as I think based on most governments and such they do, women would want power, in different circumstances including in a relationship with a man. I think that the lack of power in government in many places may make this true, but I am not still not sure...
thanks!
-Rocco
just checking in...
checking in
i agree with most people so far about promt 1
but to me its not really that women might no want to get married its more that its really not what they want most. i think most women would prefer a lot of different things. also i agree with rocco about how people want power no matter what so women kind of do want to have power in their marraige.
about #2:
she wants power in her marriage.
Prompts 1 & 2:
I think that every body wants power. I mean, c'mon! Power is what it's all about! And here we are talking about gender-related power, sexism. I've never really thought about wanting power in a marital setting, though. Isn't marriage about love, compassion and equality? It certainly isn't about slavery. And I don't think marriage is about hatred, either. I think that the idea that a woman wants power in a marriage is completely valid, I mean, people can certainly want whatever they want, but what is there to get out of marriage if it's acting only as a forum for competition. Back to what I was spewing about last night... is this the kind of release I predicted? I think so. Here- in power over the spouse- is a release from struggle, from "competition". This speaks to the Wife's desire for release, too. It speaks to her desire to be freed from her hot, young husband's sexist jeers. The Wife is struggling against her husband and feeling the strife attached to this kind of hard work. The tale in general is becoming more and more eloquent of the Wife's worldview, her struggles, her pains. What else will it speak to us about her? Hmmm...
1. Yes, I think the woman definately usually wants the power (or a good share of it, at least) in a marriage, but I don't necessarily think that this is the MAIN thing that a woman wants. There are many things, and some of the things the knight found previously in the story are just as legitimate (in my opinion) as the power in a marriage. For example, to be talked to with respect, is not only non-condescending but also with this probably comes some of the power in a marriage. If the man always listened to what the woman had to say as if she were wise, then she would have plenty of power in their relationship.
What makes the word "power" so special?
checking in
Checking in.
Hellu! Checking in...
Want is such a terrible word.
Bye!
This is Sofia...
1. I think that a woman does want to have a good share of the power in a marriage, but not absolute power. At least, that's how I personally feel. I wouldn't feel comfortable playing the "all-powerful" role in a marriage, but I definitely would not want to have little power or none at all. If I were to ask myself what I think it is that a woman wants or desires is respect and sort of a feeling of equality with men. That is, to not be looked down upon or thought lesser of just because they're female.
Prompt #1
The fact that women want power in marriage says a lot of things in itself. Its saying that by wanting power, they do not have it which is a sweeping generalization on various levels, and it is also saying that it merely a want, not a need or a mutual respect sort of situation.
The idea that women wanting power also gives the low treatment of women a shout-out because of the idea that they are merely "wanting" it, not grasping it in confidence or receiving any at all. The sexism in the statement is almost comical if it weren't such a striking issue.
woman might want the power because they can be classified as the weaker or less dominat by nature. That can be very degradeing to some women so that might be a huge amount of why they want power. They want to feel more important buy nature
woman might want the power because they can be classified as the weaker or less dominat by nature. That can be very degradeing to some women so that might be a huge amount of why they want power. They want to feel more important buy nature
Women are biologically weaker than men. Ever since ancient times when men were needed for hunting, most women were only able to take care of the home and the kids. The men got the "social" power while the women only had "private" power within the home. The women want to increase their power as much as possible to try to equalize the social difference between sexes.
Post a Comment