
Which of these Theseuses, based on what you see here, will have a better chance of coming out on top in the difficult adventures he will take on during the rest of his life? Why do you say so?
OR
In what important way do these depictions of Theseus differ?

28 comments:
I'm answering both prompts together:
I'm not sure which of these depicts Theseus as more "strong," both internally and physically, but I think there is evidence that the first painting depicts him as more fit to go through the challenges later in his life. In the first painting, Theseus is standing up, and appears to be lifting the stone with ease, while in the second, he has the sword and the sandals his father left him, but is sitting down, looking massively tired out. I think this second portrayal creates a weaker image of Theseus than the first (hard to use the word "weak" when the kid just lifted a huge rock, but whatever ;- )). Also, the sword is more like a dagger in the second one, in contrast with a long sword in the first. But, the rocks covering the sandals and sword differ greatly in proportion. The rock in the first painting is big, but almost pillar-like, and not as big as Theseus himself, while in the second painting, the rock is jagged and large. Does this small detail change my original thought?
I'll be checking in. . . .
Checking in. . . .
I see where Jake is coming from, but I'm going to disagree with him just so I'm not arguing the same exact thing he is.
The reason Theseus looks tired out in the second painting is because he has already finished lifting the rock. He can relax. In the first painting he is still working and if he dropped the rock he'd probably crush his father's precious sword, as well as have to lift the stone all over again. The second picture makes Theseus look stronger because (as Jake said at the very end of his comment) the stone in the second painting is much larger, and Theseus has clearly already completed the task of lifting it off his father's things. In the first painting, the only thing that tells us that Theseus actually succeeds is the myth itself.
Also, on a purely unphysical note, there is some sort of angel or other kind of "help" standing next to him and perhaps pointing him in the right direction. He looks more prepared for everything in this picture.
It's Rosamund.
I'm interested by what you're saying Rosamund - I really think that this could be argued either way.
Also, I believe the woman pointing is his mother, Aethra.
i really cant tell what he is doing in the second picture...does anyone know??
In the first picture he seems to be almost like "helping" someone out...or being kind, considerate and respectful
in the second one...im not really sure what he is doing with the sword/dagger...but i think he has a very different emotion than in the first picture!!!
very interesting
i apologize for this but i have tech rehearsals till literally 11:00 so its a bit stressful and tiring to check in when i get home at 11:30.....so......
checking in
SORRY!!!!!!!!!
Int he second painting I can't tell as much what theseus is doing. I wish that I could tell more, but I can't. In the first one it is really much more obvious what he is doing, lifting to rock to find sandals and a sword.
Now that I read Rosamund's entry I just noticed what happens in the second. I think that the second one makes him look stronger. The rock is noticeable bigger, and not such a small piece of stone.
I personally also like the seoncd better.
checking in.
I think in the first one he looks much more tougher. I deinanty agree with jake that it has to do with strength and weakness. Because in the second one he looks like hes weak and crying or somthing.
Rosamund is now checking in.
I think the first image of Theseuses portrays him stronger in a couple different ways. To start out, instead of being shown sitting next to the rock, he is instead lifting it. Also, to contrast the first image his mother is pointing for him to go out on his quests while he is in a passive-like resting position looking up, not down. And although this is a small detail (meaning behold!) his mother's hand is resting on the pillar, along with Theseuses. Yet in the first image they are both either pointing or looking at the objects. The expression on his face in addition to him looking back, away from the objects, gives me the impression that he almost doesn't want to carry out the quest or is as enthusiastic as in the first. The first, he seems curious but the second he looks sympathetic.
In the first one he is lifting the rock and looks rather strong. In theatre we always talk about who has the power in the scene and it seems as if he has the power in that picture. In the second one he seems to be weaker. He is sitting on the rock for one thing instead of lifting it. Although he has a sword in his hands he has a rather defeated look on his face.
Hey it's Hunter
I'm doing prompt #1
I think that the first photo will have a better chance of coming out on top in the difficult adventures he will take on during the future. I think this because, like many others said, he is doing something helpful and he is helpful to his people and so it shows what he does then and later.
I think that the first one shows physical strenght but I am pretty sure that in the myth it says tha he is not all about physical strength but the strenght of his mind. In other words he is smart. But who knows the myth I read could have been weird or something. But Overall I tink tha first one shows someone who is strong enough to be a hero. The second does not show physical strenght but it doesn't seems to show and mind strength either so I do't think it fits as much.
Both paintings show two different stages in the story. They both depict Theseus in different ways, with different personalities. The first one he is working hard. There is a sense of drive in him in the first painting. He is strong, helpful, and important. In the second painting, he isnt really doing anything. It IS logical to say that he is resting, but someone who didnt know the story might not. He looks lazy and he looks as if he is being cared for and helped, not the other way around. It just goes to show how in art when you chose to depict a specific scene from a myth, the personality of the character can be interperated differently than the story tells you.
I agree with what Jake said entirely! And Rosamund I can see where you are coming from. I know if I had just lifted a huge rock- I would want to take a little break. But I feel like the second picture shows a little bit of internal weakness. He almost appears as if he is whining, or complaining about having to go on his heroic quest. It's like a little kid not wanting to do his/her homework/chores, after only completing one task. He has so much ahead of him. He doesn't really have time for whining!
Both prompts smooshed together:
It would seem, on glancing that the first Theseus is the stronger and better equipped for the tough life ahead of him. He is the one, rather than his mother, who bends down to pick up the sword and sandals left him by his father. In the second, it almost looks like Theseus' mother props the rock up for the pathetic child at her feet. And, yes, the second Theseus seems that way: he grovels with his head upturned and mouth open. What about the idea of pointing towards what is to come for each Theseus? In the first, Theseus and his mother lean and point down, respectively, focusing, it would seem on the immediate moment and physical object. In the second image, Theseus and his mother gesture before themselves, seeming to agree upon the challenges ahead and the preparation necessary. Maybe, though, the paintings take place at a slightly different moment in time, the second being a bit after the first. Maybe the mother and son in the first image are about to realizes the future those in the second already have. Maybe the second Theseus has already done and appeared just as the first, and the first is about to grovel like the second. We shall never know...
Anyways...
Checking in...
i think that the first one depicts him as stronger, but he looks kind of surprised at what he finds. both him and his mother look kind of stiff. in the second one he looks a lot more dramatic. he looks really tired but it makes me think that there i a real story.
prompt1: I think that the Theseus in the first picture is better chance because he is helping someone. I say this because if you help someone, they will be able to help you sometime in life so if Theseus is suffering with something, the people who he helped will help him and it will be solved. I was not really sure what the Theseus in the other picture was doing but I thought that he was getting the help of one of the ladies and he was finding the sandels and the sword. I personally think that if you depend on people too much, you will not be able to get real help when you actually need it.
This is answering the second prompt...
On the top picture the mother is pointing down toward the underneath of the rock and in the other picture the mother is pointing out into the distance. In the top picture Theseus is looking under the rock and in the second picture he is sitting on the ground with the sward and shoes beside him out of the rock. Another, this to point out is that in the top one Theseus is lifting the rock and in the bottom it is after Theseus has lifted the rock.
This is ALISON REMMERS!!!!
:) <3
im just going to say that in the first pic he is shown as strong physically, but in the second he is strong emotionally or internally. One he is helping and being kind...which is sometimes hard to do...and in the other he is angry and wanting to injure or kill...strong internally
I had the same idea as Jake and I never actually realized the relationship between the paintings until Rosamund mentioned it! I'm very interested in seeing who is thinking about what ways because right now up to where I've read, people are taking sides. (not in a mean way or anything but in their thoughts :P)
This is Sofia...
For prompt A, I think I would have to agree with Jake. The first thought that came to my mind when reading this question was that Theseus did indeed look stronger, or as Jake said, "more fit" to face difficult things later in life. In the second painting, he almost seems to have a look of pleading on his face, or perhaps some sort of pain, or is tired-I'm not really sure. The difference between the facial expressions of Theseus in each is an example of an important difference. Also, in the second painting there is an added figure. The mother is depicted differently in both paintings, too. In the first she seems more matronly and larger, and in the second she looks younger and has a thinner figure.
checking in...
checking in
checking in...
checking in...
Post a Comment