

Having read about the Perseus myth: that might this myth be "about"? What aspect of human experience is it trying to to capture?
Another question: can you locate the different points where metamorphosis is part of the story?
If metamorphosis is one thing this myth is "about," what else might it be about?

30 comments:
The basic story is he is the son of Zues and Danae (Danae is the son of Argos). Someone warns Argos that Perseus will kill him so Argos puts Perseus and his mother into a chest and throwa them into the sea. They land on an island and they are rescued and Perseus grows up. The king of the island where they live sends Perseus to kill Medusa so that he can fall in love with Persues's mother.
This this is about metamorphosis. He moves to an island, and has no family other than his mom, and again is sent away to kill Medusa. He kills Medusa, and doesnt change into stone, which people do when they look at her.
When he comes back with Medusa's head he turns the king into stone and frees his mother.
Relationships, locations, and more change throughout this short story. Most of the story is sad until the end, and that is another metamorphosis in some way.
Anyway.... I'll be checking in.
yes! first!
This is Sofia. I was absent today and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the homework via blog...thank you!
It's Hunter.
I totally agree with Rocco! Do you read minds or something? Because I was thinking like the exact same thing.
Like Rocco, I think that the whole story is pretty much a metamorphasis because of the fact that it's sad until the end. I think it could also be about not taking anything for granted because of a quote from the end. the quote says, " And since he took this truly heroic accomplishment for granted, he himself was ever afterwards taken for granite." I think this shows that you should never take anything for granted and I think that is another thing the author was trying to get across.
Sofia: Read the story of Perseus, and comment on the blog about it. Also, read pages 99-105 in Lavninia.
Checking in.
Response to Rocco
The reason Perseus doesn't turn to stone is because he got a shield that protects him right? Yeah, I think that's it.
The most obvious metamorphosis use is Madusa turning people to stone. Also, although this isn't part of every version of the Perseus story, Madusa used to be very beautiful, to the point of vanity, and Athena metamorphed her into a very ugly creature with snakes for hair, etc.
It's Rosamund.
What does metamorphisis mean???
for now i will comment on sopmething else.
Perseus did not seem to consider if his mom wanted to marry this man. What if she actually did?? If she did the Perseus seems to beruining her chances and taking control; of a situation that should not fully be his decision. He should have some say but he just decided for her without consulting her. This seems pretty selfish, unless the man is some horrible guy or something
This is Sofia...
Thanks Rocco!
In this myth, Acrisius has a daughter, Danae. An oracle told Acrisius that Danae would have a son who would kill him, so Acrisius locks Danae up but Zeus came to her in a shower of golden rain, and she had a son named Perseus. Acrisius then puts Perseus and Danae in a trunk, and throws them into the water. They go downstream until they come to an island where a fisherman named Dictys takes care of them. After many years, Dictys' brother Polydectes falls in love with Danae, much to Perseus' discontent. Polydectes ends up tricking Perseus to get him the head of Medusa, and Perseus goes on a long adventure to get it. When he does get it, he ends up turning Polydectes among others into stone when he returns. When he later goes to the athletic funeral games for the dead father of a king, he throws the discus and ends up accidentally killing his father!
This myth has much to do with metamorphosis. Some of examples of this, like Rocco said, are the relationships, locations, and mood of the myth. Besides metamorphosis, though, I think is the theme of the consequences of actions. For example, Acrisius acted rashly when he put Danae and Perseus into the trunk and into the water, and this came back to haunt him later when he was killed by the discus. Another example of the theme of consequences was when Polydectes sends Perseus out to get the head of Medusa and he ends up getting turned into stone.
This is Sofia...
This myth has much to do with metamorphosis. Some of examples of this, like Rocco said, are the relationships, locations, and mood of the myth. Besides metamorphosis, though, I think is the theme of the consequences of actions. For example, Acrisius acted rashly when he put Danae and Perseus into the trunk and into the water, and this came back to haunt him later when he was killed by the discus. Another example of the theme of consequences was when Polydectes sends Perseus out to get the head of Medusa and he ends up getting turned into stone.
Wow...I TOTALLY agree with Rocco! He pretty much covered it all!
If you look at the myth closely you will fond that EVERYTHING changes. Like it has been mentioned, the locations, relationships, Medusa's beauty, EVERYTHING. It is amazing how much change can fit into this. I think it's very interesting how these myths bring in the subjects of change in such a round about way. I mean, if we werent LOOKING for it and we were just reading this because we had to and didnt really care, we probably wouldnt recognize the changes that take place. I'm interested in whether or not other readers would pick up on that, outside of our class...?
Great reading what you’ve written - I agree with what everyone’s been thinking. There is also a basic transformation for Perseus, who in the beginning is “nothing” yet becomes a hero and king.
This myth seems to be about getting over hurdles. I think the imagery of Perseus’ killing Medusa is metaphorical for Perseus’ journey. If I remember correctly, Perseus’ father was “told” by an oracle that if his wife had a child, they would kill him. Perseus seems to be “looking behind himself with a mirror” rather than facing his father full on, and when he kills him it is in an indirect way. He claims the throne after killing Medusa, although claiming the throne does not appear to have been his original goal.
I’ll be checking in . . .
Checking in. . .
Oh my god i just read the blog entry prompt i go in look at roccos rersponse and he like read my mind. Like hunter said"He read her mind"
I think i agree the whole story it self goes through a metamorphses in that fact that its sad till the end.
I Feel bad because my answer like the same as roccos he like a genuius today lol
Hey Roccy! Danae is actually the daughter of Acrisius, king of Argos. But anyways...
I feel as if this story follows similar patterning to those of Theseus and Heracles (See Raglan's Hero points). All three are born of mysterious parentage and sent away when young. Al three conquer many foes and become heroes. I think these stories represent an idilic version of man. But this man has obvious faults and problems to overcome he is not perfect. The stories also present the detailed account of a singular persons life; the importance of an individual. Does the story have a moral, a lesson, I wonder? If anything, the subtle-as-a-brick moral of necessity to do what is right ALWAYS, even without thinking. It makes the story seem so banal, but of a cultural importance. Hmmm... The importance of one's personal story to culture? Do we have such things in our own culture?
On Metamorphosis in a concrete, physical sense (no pun intended!) the figures being metamorphed from human to stone. But on a level metaphysical? Possibly the transformation of Pereus from youth? Depending what translation one may have read, Perseus is called specifically a youth at the beginning of the myth and a man by the end. We see his heroic exploits metamorph in a way as well. At first he deals with monsters, and finally with people as he grows. Age and human relations are thus connected in a myth. Maybe we could graph this joint metamorphosis...
Anyways...
Checking in...
checkin INN
yeah...everyone has pretty much said these things already...but im just gonna throw them out there...
Metamorphosis:
-Medusa...changing people to stone
-locations
-moods
-emotions
-relationships
these all change...showing metamorphosis in a metaphorical way
Examples of metamorphosis in this myth:
-Zeus turning himself into "a shower of golden rain" (which fell upon Acrisius...Perseus became son of Zeus and Acrisius)
-Medusa being turned from abeautiful maiden with pretty hair to a monster with hair with snakes (as punishment for "laying with Poseidon in the temple of Athene")
-people turn to stone when they look at Medusa
-Perseus changed from a small boy to a strong man who becomes a hero with the help of the gods
I vaguely remember hearing about this story as a child and I am happy I heard the whole thing. It cleared up a lot for me. I like the ending. It's cute. I think that another big theme shown in this myth is the theme of:
love/relationships/marriage; I know this theme is in practically every story...but in this story there is a lot of it going on...in fact I found some of it a bit confusing...their is fake love, forbidden love, refusal of love, love at first sight, relationships that appear to have no meaning...etc.
Also I noticed that this myth had a lot of references to other greek myths. Which makes me think that to truly understand the meaning of one greek myth...you have to understand a lot about greek mythology. You can't just read one story and get it....
oh and I agree with alex that there are also some more metaphorical...a bit more vague...examples of metamorphosis in this story...
Jake I just noticed your AWESOME comment about how this is about "overcoming hurdles". I totally agree with you! what a concept! I guess that theme just makes me happy because I can actually relate it to my own life. Right now I'm overcoming hurdles...in school, in music, with friends, with my character...lots is going on. Sure I'm not ever going to become some great hero like perseus who goes out and saves people...but someday I will get over some of my problems. I never guessed that I would find this myth "motivating"...but now I think I have! :)
Just checkin in...
Interesting to compare thoughts...
Anyways...
I was not able to find theoc.com so I read a different one which might be different... I will try and follow with Rocco's summary...
I thought that this myth talks a lot about selfishness because the king of the island tells Perseus to get him what he wants. Other than metamorphosis, it talks about the differences in power. Since the person who orders Perseus is the king of the island, he has the right to order anything and Perseus will agree and do the task.
This is Alison Remmers!!!
I found three metamorphosis examples in the myth. One is Medusas head, and how her hair changes to snakes. Another is how Medusas look makes people die. Another is at the very end of the story were there are play on words; “Returning to Seriphos, he put it to good use on King Polydectes, who had gone back to pestering the hero's mother just as soon as Perseus was out of sight. Polydectes made the mistake of being sarcastic about Perseus's conquest of the Gorgon. And since he took this truly heroic accomplishment for granted, he himself was ever afterwards taken for granite.” The most important part is the end where it says “taken for granite” and those are the play on words where the author said granite.
hey...i just got home frm tech rehersals......sssssssoooooo tired!!!!!!
I very much agree and connect with Rocco and Rachael..they ligit took words out of my brain before I got to the computer....oh well
checking in
checking in....
athena is jealous of medusa beauty. she is also bothered, like most people, by bragging. medusa is normal to want to brag about her beauty. perseus is trying to save his mother.
checking in...
checking in
checkingin
it's rosamund
Post a Comment