For students to share comments about the evening's reading assignment, and for miscellaneous class assignments

Friday, October 10, 2008

Lavinia 47-60


A depiction of Aeneas and his friend Achates on the African coast, on their journey from Troy to Latium.
Please find your favorite moment, phrase, or sentence from this reading and describe it (if it's a moment in the text) or just quote it if it's a phrase or a sentence. No need to discuss it at this time.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be from these past 12 pages or from the whole thing. I'll do both:
Favorite moment in the last 10 pages: is when Lavinia wakes up in the darkness of Albunea to see the poet for the second time. "Poet," I said. He said "Lavinia."

My favorite moment in the whole book is still by far the first two pages (1st chapter).

It's Rosamund

Grete said...

my favorite part is when lavinia is talking to the poet. he seems really nice.

Unknown said...

My favorite sentence:

"So I told him what he asked, and comforted him with what he knew."

Anonymous said...

"I WAS RAVENOUSLY HUNGRY, A WOLF."


-party because I could relate to that right after shool!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Checking in. . .

Anonymous said...

Also on pg 50 at the top of the page is HILARIOUS.......ut very sad and ruel at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


hahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

The Romans believe in an "after life" too.........ike the Egyptians!!!!!!!!!!!!


SSSOOOOO interesting...i'm interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

bottom pg 53 and top pg 54


I think Lavinia's in LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

top pg 56

I can SSSSSSOOOOOO see this book being a movie...or better yet...........on STAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! (play OR musical.....................................no, not musical)

Anonymous said...

bottom pg 57 top pg 58


this poet guy is a creeper!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMIGOSH!!!!!!!!!!! a charactor on pg 58 is in our Hector/Achlles reading assignment in history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooooooo cool!!!!!! ssssoooo interesting

Anonymous said...

the name is...


Deiphobus

Anonymous said...

WOW.........i LOVE this book so increbly much.......Its REALLY good!!!!!!!

sorry.......i just posted like legit 20 times....im so stupid.......i just LOVE this book......................................have a nice long weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

:) checking in (:

Renee said...

"I was ravenously hungry, a wolf." pg. 47

Amazing way to start it off!

Oh, just saw Turner did that one...I'll do a second, then...

"So I endured the rest of Turnus' visit, meek and maidenly, even saying a word or two at the table now and then."

My gosh, Turner!! You are giving us like a play by play!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Renee, the play by play is oh so helpful...
My favorite moment in the reading: Page 50, the ape has escaped and been mauled by a dog. A pregnant woman sees it and immediately goes into labor. She bears a dead child. In the authors words, this passage really grabs attention and creates a sense of bewilderment and awe.

Anyway...

Anonymous said...

My favorite part was when the poet asked her if Turnus was handsome enough and she said ask my mother.

Hunter said...

This is Hunter (:
My favorite part is on page 49 when it says, "Nothing could keep my heart down that morning." I just really like that sentence, and how happy you can picture her.

Anonymous said...

My favorite phrase is:

I was ravenously hungry, a wolf. (Page 47)

But... Turner has that.

So...

One owl called from the right, far off. None answered. (Page 50)


Thanks.... I'll be checking in.

Anonymous said...

Checking in.

tv-ko said...

wow turner...
it took me a long time to see the other's comments cause of ur "play by play" as Renee placed it.

My favorite moment in this book is when Lavinia is talking to the poet and talking about Silvia's petstag. "Yes. We saw it down this way, Maruna and I. It was following a doe, just like a dog after a bitch. A dog with antlers. It made us laugh."

Anonymous said...

I feel lik eveyone hates me!!!!!!!!!! sorry guys!!!!


:( checking in :(

Renee said...

Oh my gosh, NO, Turner!! It was helpful in a way, actually. You pointed at several spots that we could all pay attention to...WE DON'T HATE YOU!!! (Right, guys???) I promise! Really! I was kidding! Love you, Turner!!

Anonymous said...

This is Sofia...

My favorite part, from page 50:

"The animal from Africa had bitten my mother painfully, and then disappeared. Later on it was found that one of the hounds had got it, eaten its entrails, and left the rest lying by the house wall, where a pregnant weaving woman saw it, thought it was the corpse of a baby, went shrieking into labor, and bore a dead child. That was a creature of ill omen if ever I saw one."

Anonymous said...

My favorite moment in the book is the second time Lavinia talks to the poet because of her interest in him and what his life has been like.

This is ALISON REMMERS!

Rachael Lindsey said...

Favorite moment in this passage:

pg. 59

" 'No,' he said. 'I don't, in fact. It's not exactly a matter of deciding. Rather of finding out. Or, as it now stands, of giving up, because I haven't the strength to go on...."

This passage in general was so incredible! It was so dramatic...I think I've sort've been so focused on lavinia's life...that I've forgotten that this poem was also based on real events...like Troy...and bringing those in...with myth....so much despair...so much destruction...so much emotion...it's insane!

Anonymous said...

checking in... i dont know if we need to do this?

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone who said that their favotite moment was when Lavinia was talking to the poet

Rachael Lindsey said...

just checking in....

Anonymous said...

Just checking in...