For students to share comments about the evening's reading assignment, and for miscellaneous class assignments

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Your Chosen Book: first reading


Please write which pages you have read, the plot of what you have read (in as much detail as you wish), and try to go beyond plot somehow. Discussing character, setting, or imagery are examples of things you could discuss.


If you are still looking for a book that you think you will like, tell us about your continuing efforts to do so.


Thank you!

15 comments:

Steve Durning said...

This is Mr. Durning.

One more thing: plese mention the title and author of your book in your comment.

cutiepi and mrspotter: I forget who you are, so please remind me. Thank you!

Steve Durning

Anonymous said...

Book: Dracula
Author: Bram Stoker
Pages: 7-22

The book begins as part of the narrator's journal. The narrator/main character is named Jonathan Harker, and he has been summonded by Count Dracula to his castle in Transylvania. He will be a friend and perhaps a bit of a servant for the Count, though the definite role of the two to each other is a bit unclear. Jonathan arrives in Transyvania and stays in a hotel where he has strange dreams and keeps hearing a dog outside his window. Then, in the town he's taking the coach to Dracula's castle in, he stays with a nice old couple in their inn and the old woman can't stop begging him not to go and she gives him her rosary.

Then, he gets on the coach and people keep crossing their hearts and pointing their two fingers at him to ward off the evil eye. Jonathan learns that it's May 4th, the night all the evil spirits are supposed to come out. The coach speeds along faster and faster, trying to beat sunset because it will be at its peak my midnight.

Another coach from Dracula picks him up from the toher coach and the driver is pale, has red eyes, red lips, and pointy teeth. He doesn't talk much and Jonathan is delerious on the way back. He keeps seeing fire off to the sides of the carriage. The coach drivers disappears to follow the fire a few times. The wolves and dogs all start howling at midnight and wolves appear around the carriage while the driver is gone. Jonathan is scared, but the coach driver comes back and they scatter as if afraid of him.

The carriage arrives at the castle of Dracula and it is crumbling and scary. Jonathan is frightened, but he can't do anything about it.

That's as far as I read.

I think that the book is terrifying! Although it's maybe not the most artfully written, the character of a refined man, Jonathan, comes through with his words in journal. He's a very strong character, and I can believe that it's really an early 20th century gentleman writing it. So far, the details, though stark, are each worth a lot, and they bring the horror of this place infected with vampires and the people terrified of the night through to the reader.

Sang Eun Oh said...

Sang Eun Oh

Please write which pages you have read, the plot of what you have read (in as much detail as you wish), and try to go beyond plot somehow. Discussing character, setting, or imagery are examples of things you could discuss.

Title: tuesdays with Morrie
Author: Mitch Albom
Pages: 1~17

The story is being told in a first person and the setting is in Massachusetts. Morrie Schwartz was the main character's professor in his college. He was an old man and a sociologist. In his sixties, he started to feel something wrong with his body. He checked with many doctors and found out that he was having ALS. Before encountering death, he decided to experience and leave many words as possible. The speaker wasn't keeping in touch with Morrie, so he didn't know about his professor's illness. The speaker, himself has gone through changes in his life. He changed his mind and goal after experiencing his uncle's death. He stopped playing piano and worked as a sports writer. Even when he got married, he was busy doing his own work.
So far, the book talks about few people's death due to fatal diseases and the speaker's changes due to their deaths. I think that the book contains messages about human life.

Anonymous said...

I am cutiepi2470 (Brianna)
Unfortunately I have still not been successful with finding a book. I did look for over 45 minutes including this whole day. Most of the books I have found I have already read or they do not interest me. I am trying to find the perfect book for me so i will be fully motivated and interested. If this is not offered, I won't be interested in reading, since this is not one of my favorite things to do. The reason I think I can't find a book is because in the book store the books are mostly required books for class and in the library there aren't to many modern books that interest me. I'm not trying to make excuses but I am excited for tomorrow because I finally have the time after school, as before I had classes, to go to the Library and find the book calling my name!

호두짱 said...

Book: Twilight
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Pages: 3-8

The story starts off with a girl named Bella.
She is currently in high school of Phoenix, Arizona.
But she is moving to Port Angeles, Washington.
Until now, she lived with her mother, but since her mother is getting married to another man named Phil, she is moving in with her dad Charlie. Through hours of air plane, she finally meets her dad Charlie. Their relationship is very awkward, because she did not really grow up with Charlie. When Bella arrived there, Charlie already had bought a truck for Bella really cheap price from one of his friend. Then she thanks him.

Anonymous said...

"Queen of Babble"
Meg Cabot

I have read 164 pages so far.

This book is about an american girl named Liz. Liz is a very optimistic person who views the world in an innocent and charmingly funny way as she is also the narator of the book. In the begining of the book she fell for an english guy named Andy. In a spur of the moment she made a romanticly urged decision to buy a plane ticket to London to see who she thought would be the love of her life. When she gets to London she discovers he's a total ass and leaves him to stay with her friends in suny France. On the chunnel there she bumps into a man and spills everything embarasing and personal about what happened thinking she would never see him again. Shockingly he turns out to be the friend her friend is staying with. does she like him? and does it even matter because he has a drop dead gorgeous girlfiend? I guess I'll just have to wait and find out!

Anonymous said...

Hi, mrspotter is me Mr. Durning, I'm not sure why it showed up like that.

This Lullaby
Sarah Dessen
p 1-10

The book starts out with Remy, who's romantic novelist mom is getting ready for her fifth wedding, and Remy is basically her wedding planner. Her dad died when she was young and all that Remy has to remember him by is a song he wrote for her when she was born, "This Lullaby", and it became a popular song around the country. Remy is making the final preparations for her mother's wedding when I stopped reading.

Remy is a very take charge character and gets things done. She is basically her mother's mom, and her mother is like the child that she has to care and look after.

Anonymous said...

Im sorry it keeps showing up like that, but mrspotter is Christy

Unknown said...

The title of my book is Sense and Sensibility. It is by Jane Austen and I chose this book because my goal of this year is to finish all the books written by Jane Austen. Today I've read the first chapter.
In the reading, it introduce the characters and the basic situation that they are in. The main characters are Mr. Dashwood who recently died. He was a very wealthy man and had a wife but died ten years ago. To comfort himself, he lets in his cousins in to his house which is Mr. Henry Dashwood, his wife and their children. Then it talks about Mr. Dashwood's will and how they were disappointed with it. That is where the personality of Mrs. Henry Dashwood is discripted. She is very selfish and full of herself. Her daughters, Elinor, Marianne, and Margeret is depicted next. The narrator says that Elinor is very prudent and that Marianne is the opposite of her. The narrator doesn't talk much about her and that she isn't that sensible as much as her sisters because she is thirteen. This made me feel that she would take an important part in the book because the title of the book is Sense and Sensibility.
I am very excited to read this book! It is a bit challenging to understand because I had to read it two or three times to understand what was going on. Either than that, I love the book! I really like the fact that she uses very simple word and she doesn't exaggerate things.

Nicholas said...

Book: Tales from Ovid (The Metamorphoses)
Author: Ovid (trans. Ted Hughes)
Pages: 3-22

The Metamorphosis is, basically, the entire collection of great Greek myths, translated and rewritten by Ovid into Latin. In the first section, the creation of the world is described. In the beginning, there was only Chaos. There was no sun, moon, earth or ocean. However, land, sea and water existed, but they were formless and abstract. So, a nameless or unknown God began to shape each of the elements into the earth, and created life, the winds and the stars. Then Prometheus and Either the Maker create man, in the shape of the gods.

For a long time, mankind lived in paradise, without worry of sin or evil. But then, in the Age of Iron, man became entirely violent, and lost truth and modesty. They waged an epic war, as did the gods and the giants. Jove, the leader of the gods, was almost assassinated by an insolent man, and so flooded the earth.

This book, already, is riddled with references to important Roman figures, such as Brutus, Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar. He often compares many of the gods with these figures, sometimes positively, other times, negatively. If I am not incorrect, Ovid was quite unpopular with the Roman government. In this context it is easy to see why.

Unknown said...

Finding the new book on my own. yesterday I borrowed a book from my friend and so after class when Mr.Durning told me that I should read the first few pages inorder to know if it's the right book for me. Reading first few pages I felt that I should go and find some other book to read. Reading new kind of book might be fun but I felt that it has to be interesting too. So, I asked other people and got the book called NEW MOON by Stephenie Meyer. I have already seen the twilight movie and I thaught that it would be nice. So starting today I am going to read the book NEW MOON.

Anonymous said...

sWinner Stands Alone
Paulo Coelho

1~23

The main character in this book is Egor from Russia. He is one of the richest millionaire in the world. He is a man who just got divorced from his wife. The book starts by Egor getting invited from the Khan International Movie Festival. He sees his wife in the festival, while she is with her new boyfriend. While he watches his ex-wife with her boyfriend, he thinks of a revenge. He determines to kill anyone who fits in his plan of getting his wife back. I think he is trying to kill people who is just on the right timing to draw attention from his wife at the right place. This is as far as I read.

Unknown said...

Ka Yeon Nam

Book: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
pages: 3-5 (chapter 1)

The first chapter of the book is conversation between Mr and Mrs Bennet. They are talking about the new neightbor who is coming. Mrs. Bennet really wants her daughters to visit the new neighbor, whoes name is Bingley. Mrs. Bennet seems very straight forward: She wants her daughters to get married. When she heard that a single man is moving in to her family's neighborhood, she seems exited to make her daughters meet him.

Anonymous said...

Heather Rhee

Book : The Luxe - Anna Godbersen

p.1~p.5
The narraitor talkes about Elizabeth Adora Holland. She was a girl who was known for her lovelines and her moral character. Everyone believed that she will go to a high place(heavenly perch) in the heaven if she dies.
The place takes in NY. Her funeral was talking place in a birhgt morning. Many loyal families went to the Gothic style chruch near Broadway to say good-bye to her.

I'm so sorry Mr.Durning!.. I have 4art projects going on right now so I didn't had time to read the book until now.. It's 11:56 and I didn't wanted to miss my homework so I'm just posting this short comment..(I can't use internet after 12)I read few pages yesterday but I can't really write it with details again. so.. sorry and I'll write it longer next time

Elana said...

I have chosen a new book called 'The Awakening' and at the beginning of the book the main character and narrator Chloe (who is a Necromancer--> a.k.a. someone who can raise the dead and talk to them.) is talking to her deceased friend and she finds herself locked in some sort of cell. Chloe tries to find out what's going on from a ghost she summoned but the ghost leaves before she can ask any questions. (pages 1-20)