For students to share comments about the evening's reading assignment, and for miscellaneous class assignments

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lavinia pp. 1-2

Romulus and Remus being raised by a wolf. Romulus and Remus are decendants of Aeneas, a major character in Lavinia. Notice the importance in Lavinia of wolves.

What is your favorite word or short phrase in this reading? Explain why. If someone else has taken your phrase, come up with a different one, unless you have something new and different to say about it. Good luck!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"On each side of each ship a long rank of oars lifted and beat like the beat of wings in the twilight."

I like this sentence from the reading the best because of the wordplay and retetition, not to mention the vivid imagery.

Have you ever had a bird fly directly over your head (especially a large one)? There's this wonderful rushing, thumping, rhythmic sound, and I never made the connection between the sound of giant wings and the sound of oars pulling a boat. "...like the beat of wings in the twilight," is an amazing simile. Oars beat down on the water, like wings beat down on the air.

The repetition in "...beat like the beat of wings..." is great. It goes along with the wordplay, also. The double "beat" with two words in between creates a rhythm, or a beat. It sounds like the oars hitting the water, it sound musical, and it sounds like the beat of wings--musical, really.

Anonymous said...

"The birds were just beginning their dawn chorus."

I liked this sentence most because it paints a pleasant picture in your mind and gives you a sense of peace. The moment i read this i pictured myself waking up in my bed with the birds on the tree branch outside my window. Waking up to birds always makes my feel well rested and happy.

Unknown said...

Yeena Sung

The first ship entered the river and came past me, dark above me, moving steadily to the heavy soft beat of the oars on the water

I like this sentence from the reading because this sentence is easy for me to imagine what is actually happening in the scene. I also feel that when it says, " and came past me", it feels as if the ship is a person and I liked the way how the writer expressed it that way.

Unknown said...

"By the time the last of the ships passed by me with that soft, labored beat and rush of oasrs and vanished into the forest that grows thick on both banks, the birds were singing aloud everywhere and the sky was bright aboube the eastern hills."

I like this sentence the most becuase it is as if I can actually hear the birds sing and feel the ships passing by. The sentence was well described and made it easy of me to picture it in my mind.

Sang Eun Oh said...

Sang Eun

What is your favorite word or short phrase in this reading? Explain why.

One after another the ships breasted the waves at the bar, rising and plunging, one after another they came straight on.

I like this sentence because the sentence explains the situation of how exactly the ships are approaching. By reading the sentence, it is possible to picture the situation in mind. Also, I like the sentence because I can feel some kind of energy from it. Specifically from the part where it says, rising and plunging, I can feel the energetic and lively movements of the ships.

호두짱 said...

" The five of us had supper round the fire, and told stories and sang songs while the sun set in the sea and the May dusk turned blue and bluer.

This sentence gives me a relaxation by gathering round the fire and singing a joyful song while watching the sun set.

Anonymous said...

"I went to the salt beds by the mouth of the river, in the May of my nineteenth year, to get salt for the sacred meal."

I like this sentence because the reader gives us an insight to how the book is going to be. We can already tell from this first sentence that the book is not set in present time. "..in the may of my nineteenth year.." is a phrase we do not typically use this day and age, we would usually say "in may when I was nineteen." So this is quite an insight to the way the this book is going to be told and I find that fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Heather Rhee

I went to the salt beds by the mouth of the river.

This first sentence of the book was my favorite sentence in the chapter.
At first when I read this sentence, I was not able to get the meaning of the sentence.
'Salt beds' made me to imagine a lot of amount of salt. However, the part where it says 'Mouth of the river' was confusing. (I don't know about American students but it was confusing for me.)
I searched the meaning of the 'mouth of the river' and I realized that it meant the sea.
This sentence might be an easy, simple sentence for some other student in this class. Nevertheless, I was able to have fun by imaginating and thinking more about the sentence beacause I didn't know the meaning.

Unknown said...

DEMI
(this is from demi, my email wouldnt work)

"....setting up camp on a grassy dune above the beaches of the river and the sea."

I like this sentence the best because it reminds me of a place on the beach where I used to play when I was little. So, although it may not contain vivid imagery for other people, an immediate picture,sound and different smell appear in my mind.

Anonymous said...

"By the time the last of the ships passed by me with that soft, labored beat and rush of oars and vanished into the forest that grows thick on both banks, the birds were singing allowed everywhere and the sky was bright above the eastern hills." page 2

This is my favorite part of this section of reading because of the well descriptive picture. The "crisp" words like "soft", "thick", "vanished", "rush" and so on, are well chosen words to create a clear picture in my mind. This also does not just state that the ship passed by but where is was going, and the specific way it passed.

There are two senses involved in this phrase which also allow a more clear depicted picture. The two phrases involved are sight, and sound. You hear birds chirping in a lovely manner, while you depict a beautiful sun among mountains, and a boat sailing by with the beat of the oars with a firm rhythm.

Nicholas said...

"I dipped up a little water and let it fall back, saying the river's name, Tiber, Father Tiber, and his old secret names as well, Albu, Rumon."

This sentence is interesting for me because it is very visual and sensual. It gives an impression of simple realism. It is also interesting because of its grammatical structure and turn of phrase.

By breaking grammar rules, Le Guin has made the sentence more interesting. For example, where she decided not to add a grammatically correct 'and' in the following excerpt:

"...and his old secret names as well, Albu, Rumon."

Elana said...

"The birds were just beginning their dawn chorus."

I really like this sentence because it's good imagery and a beautiful sentence in general. The birds chirp in the morning and with the unison it does sound like a chorus of beautiful voices. It gives a good sense of what time it is and that they are in a place where they can actually hear the birds.