For students to share comments about the evening's reading assignment, and for miscellaneous class assignments

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lavinia 9-23


1. How many references to different animals can you find?

OR

2. What animals get mentioned in connection with Turnus? Comment.

OR

3. Does Turnus act in a a good way at the dinner?

OR

4. Why do you suppose the author has Lavinia bring so many animals into her story?

OR

5. Do you agree with Lavinia's father or mother as to whether it is a good idea for Lavinia to spend so much time in the out of doors with the daughter of the man who takes care of the king's herds? (bottom of page 14)

18 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

5. Do you agree with Lavinia's father or mother as to whether it is a good idea for Lavinia to spend so much time in the out of doors with the daughter of the man who takes care of the king's herds? (bottom of page 14)

I agree with her father, I think it's a good idea to spend time outside with a friend then just stay inside doing nothing. It's always good to go out and run because it makes you healthy and you can still learn things while you're outside. I also understand her mother saying that it's not good for her to play with the daughter of the man who takes care of the king's herds because she might want her daughter to only see the best. She might not want her daughter to see bad things or have a bad influence but, it seems like silvia is also a nice young lady and she is from a nice family because in the book, it said that silvia's father was soft as a warm butter. Also Lavinia says "she was in many ways more princess than I" which meant that silvia was treated like a treasure in her family. So i agree with Lavinia's father. I think it's okay for Lavinia to be with silvia.

Sang Eun Oh said...

Sang Eun

3. Does Turnus act in a good way at the dinner?

p.18-19
But during the meal, while Turnus talked affably with both my father and my mother, he looked at me. He didn't stare, but he looked again and again, with a slight smile. I became embarrassed as I never had been. His intense blue eyes began to frighten me. Every time I dared glance up, he was looking at me.

It is possible to know that Turnus acted in a good way at the dinner from the passage above. By looking at Lavinia with slight smile again and again, probably he is interested and fond of her. He is not staring at her as if he has bad feelings about her. Therefore he might have good impression on her. He could also be thinking of her as his bride in the future. If he was not interested in Lavinia, he wouldn't have looked at her for such many times. In addition, he is being polite to her father and mother.

Anonymous said...

What animals get mentioned in connection with Turnus?

On page 18, the other women are referred to twice as "a gabble of geese" or "geese" in general because they slip so easily into gossiping about Turnus and his also beautiful sister.

Also, the women are separating the fibers of sheep's wool when the topic of Turnus is brought up.

On Turnus's goblet is engraved a hunting scene, which implies dogs or other chasing animals and the prey, like a fox, a stag, or even a rabbit.

On page , Lavinia talks about how young girls think about loving a man and marriage, how she thinks about Turnus. She says, "...she sees him--sees him only: maybe as the rabbit sees the hawk..."

Although many times in the reading animals are mentioned, and they play big roles in what happens in the story, they do not come up as much as one expects when in relation to Turnus. I think that perhaps, we naturally relate certain features of humans to certain animals. I was definitely surprised when I had to actually find the animal relations. I thought that there were may more than the ones I listed... Someone please add onto this list if you find more.

David said...

1. How many references to different animals can you find?

Throughout the section, Lavinia and her young friend explore the area surrounding their home, exploring (quite dangerously, often) the dens and homes of various animals surrounding her and her companion's house, including that of a wolf mother, with her friend. Overall, there are about three or four references to animals throughout this part of the reading.

Anonymous said...

4. Why do you suppose the author has Lavinia bring so many animals into her story?

I feel that the author brings so many animals into her story because animals are a great way to compare things to and make references to. Animals are so common in our everyday life and we all know their characteristics by heart. Most families even have an animal of their own in their house, so it could be easier for some to relate more to the animal references then others. Most people love animals and can relate easily to their general actions and how they react to things and they can relate that to their own human characteristics and get more involved in the book.

Anonymous said...

3. Does Turnus act in a good way at the dinner?

"Turnus talked affably with both my father and my mother, he looked at me. He didn't stare but he looked again and again, with a slight smile. I became embarrassed as I never had been. His intense blue eyes began to frighten me." page 19

I do agree with Sang Eun that Turnus acted in a good way at dinner. He was polite and easily talkative with Lavinia's parents. Although in the manner he behaved with Lavinia, it was a little "too much." This was their first encounter with each other. Although he was looking at her in a polite way, smiling because of her beauty and such, she was not comfortable with it. It made her nervous because although he was handsome, she believed along with her father, that she was too young for marriage, and that this meeting would be for future reference in the next 2 or 3 years. Lavinia might have got the feeling his behavior was uncalled for, while her parents adored his behavior and maturity. I also believe this would not be something maybe so appropriate to make "love glances" across the table when you are royalty. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way, but when I think of dinner time for the upper class, I think of everything being focused on manners and any outside matters to be left outside the table, although my opinion might be a little strong.

Overall, I thought Turnus' behavior was good towards Lavinia's parents and more of an awkward and uncomfortable behavior with Lavinia.

Unknown said...

Yeena Sung

5. Do you agree with Lavinia's father or mother as to whether it is a good idea for Lavinia to spend so much time in the out of doors with the daughter of the man who takes care of the king's herds? (bottom of page 14)

I agree with Lvinia's father that it is good to go outside and hang out outdoors. I believe that if she stayed in house all the time, she wouldn't know how to communicate with normal people, only just the ones who are royal and who has position. Also, I agree with Ji Yoon that it is good for Lavinia to be out doors a lot for she'll keep herself being healty. It doesn't mean that if you just go out doors you will be healthy. However, she hangs out with the daughter of the king's herds, who lives close to the nature. So it makes Lavinia get more close to nature.

Anonymous said...

Heather Rhee
Q5
Answer

I agree with the father. I think it is a good idea for Lavinia to spend time with Silvia. First, it is an activity which Lavinia loves to do. It will make Lavinia to become healthy in both mental and a physical way.
Also, I believe that if Lavinia stays in her home without communicating with others, she will feel loney and it might cause her to have a cold heart as her personailty. To become a nice leader (her father is a king. Thus, she is part of the leader group) she have to understand her people in a better way. Making friends is a good way of developing herself to express her own to the bigger world. Also, it is a good way to learn and understand others.
Lastly, Slivia is not a bad person to know and it looks like Lavinia can be a nice friend for her. According to the book, Slivia seems like a nice girl.

'Her mother had died soon after her birth, an she had no sister'

I thought that Slivia is a girl who might be very lonely without Lavinia. Even though her father is friendly, she doesn't have a sister to play with her or a mother to care her in a gentle way. Thus, Lavinia can be a great friend for her who can comfort Slivia.

Anonymous said...

#1

All in all in this reading about 13animals were mentioned. I think this suggests that allthough she is a princess nature has a lot to do with her life.

Anonymous said...

pages 3-9:
3. Was Lavinia right to tell her father that it was a cat that scratched her, and not say the truth, which was that it was her mother who scratched her? Why? I feel that it was the right thing for Lavinia to lie about the scratch to her father because she was protecting her mother and father in two different ways, and now hurting either of them by telling this lie. She was protecting her mother from suffering the consequences for scratching her daughter and she was protecting her father from the stress of having to deal with the issue.

pages 9-23:
1. How many references to different animals can you find? In pages 9 though 23 I found about 15 refrences to animals total, here are some of then...(page10) "beast-man" (page11) "she-wolf's den" "wolf and her cubs" "wolves hate dogs" "deer" "lamb" (page14) "geese" "distant mooing" "mourning doves" "wood doves" "wood doves"

Anonymous said...

not hurting either one of them. **

Nicholas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicholas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicholas said...

Answer to #4:

"Silvia had a wonderful way with creatures... She tamed a fox cub; when it grew to a vixen she let it go free... She reared a fawn her brothers took on a hunt..."

I feel that the author has Lavinia bring many animals into the book because they are significant not only Lavinia, but to the pre-Roman people of Italy. These animals probably, to one extent or another, fascinated the people with their beauty and bestial characteristics. This, first and foremost, is evident in Silvia's obsession with the creatures of the forest, and her true love of nature. It is possible though that this is only true of Silvia. One could also argue that these animals could represent certain characters in the book, which would manifest themselves later in the book. Either way, whether or not the animals are significant culturally or to the characters, it is difficult to tell.

Anonymous said...

Sung Kun Kim

1. How many references to different animals can you find?

-It says on pg 14, "a huge place with many outbuildings, the stone-and-timber farmhouse bulking up among them like an old grey gander in a flock of geese." Also, it says, " roam the woods and hills ,as free as the sparrows."

Elana said...

1. How many references to different animals can you find?

Several. There's a very big importance about animals and they are highly worshiped. The animals play a very, very large roll in their religion and society and animals have respect for so many reasons.

Elana said...

"Pallas asked me if I'd like to see a she-wolf's den and I said yes, he took me to a cave called the Lupercal, quite near the village. It was sacred to Pan, he said, which seemed to be what the Greeks called our grandfather Faunus. Anyhow, the settlers let the wolf and her cubs alone, wisely, and she let them alone too. She never even hurt their dogs, though wolves hate dogs. There were plenty of deer for her in those hills. Now and then in spring she'd take a lamb. They counted that as a sacrifice and when she didn't take a lamb, they'd sacrifice a dog for her, Her mate had disappeared this past winter."

"She tamed a fox cub; when it grew to a vixen she let it go free, but it brought its cubs round yearly for us to see, letting them gambol in the twilight in the grass under the oaks."

"She nursed it tenderly and it grew into a magnificent stag tame as any dog."